Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Nile, Uganda

We had the awesome opportunity to raft the Nile. It wasn't set in stone in our plan and we figured we would decide once we got to Uganda if we wanted to do it. We talked about it and realized we would probably never have another opportunity to raft the Nile so we went ahead and did it. It was SO much fun! I was quite nervous because I knew we would be doing a couple of class fives. The definition of a class five is, "Exceedingly difficult, long and violent rapids, following each other almost without interruption; riverbed extremely obstructed; big drops; violent current; very steep gradient; close study essential but often difficult. Requires best person, boat, and outfit suited to the situation. All possible precautions must be taken. (via wikipedia)" Wouldn't that worry you a bit?! Plus the possibility of hippos and crocodiles swimming around! There were even some class sixes, which I didn't even know existed, where we had to portage our raft and walk it around (on wikipedia a class six is defined as suicidal, eek!!) But once we started rafting I had the time of my life! On our raft we had our guide named Josh, 3 Americans from a college in Boston and a South African couple, who we ended up being great friends with. Our raft flipped twice but no one got hurt. Now here is a picture overload!











We named our raft Team Hippos, I love these guys!

Mid flip






I swear our guide flipped us on purpose on this one, look at him pulling!!

1 comment:

  1. The expression: "It's always fun 'til someone gets hurt" comes to mind. But if no one gets hurt, I guess All's well that ends well. I must say that's some scary water!

    ReplyDelete