Thursday, January 7, 2016

Cloth Diapering

Okay, let's talk cloth diapers. I am crazy about cloth diapers, I love all things cloth diapering! I remember when I was looking into it everyone was telling me I was crazy but I am so glad I did it! It is really not nearly as much work as you think it is and babies look so darn cute in them :) I've tried a few different brands but I would say my favorite brand is Charlie Banana. They have so many different cute colors and prints. I especially love the trim fit and how absorbent their inserts are. Alright, now lets talk all things cloth diapering.

How many do you need?
I have about 25 cloth diapers for my babies, for a single baby I say you would need about 12.

Which kind of cloth diaper do you use?
There are all different kinds of cloth diapers, all in ones, pocket, prefold, fitted, etc. I use the pocket diapers. With the pocket diapers it looks like a normal diaper (but made out of cloth obviously) but has a slit where you put the inserts into the diaper. The inserts are what absorb most of the liquid.

This is the pocket Charlie Banana diaper, you can see the pocket where you put the inserts.


How often do you wash them? 
I wash them every 2-4 days. 

How do you clean them?
If it's a wet diaper, I just take the inserts out of the diaper and put the diaper and inserts in the diaper pail. If it's a dirty diaper I will take the inserts out then "plop" the poop into the toilet. Usually the poop falls right into the toilet but if it's a wetter poop I will just swish the diaper around in the water, then put the diaper and inserts in the diaper pail. If the baby is being exclusively breastfed you don't even have to put the poop in the toilet. One, because the poop isn't solid yet and two, because the baby isn't eating solids the poop can be washed in the washing machine and not effect the machine. And for some reason I LOVE doing cloth diaper laundry! Like I get excited to do it, haha!

Once my diaper pail is full I will put the diapers on a rinse cycle first, then a normal wash cycle. I then hang the diapers and inserts to dry. You can put them in the dryer, but the diapers will last longer if they hang dry.

I mean look at all these cute colors!!!


How does the sizing of cloth diapers work?
I have the one size cloth diapers and I LOVE them! The diapers grow with the babies! There are snaps on their that help you to adjust them to the right size. They fit my thin babies perfectly.

How difficult is it?
Believe it or not, it really is not that difficult. Yes you have to deal with poop a bit, but poop doesn't bother me much and it's not like you have to actually touch it. Cloth diapering is really not hard, trust me!

How much more time does it take?
It obviously takes a little bit more time than disposables, but not much! Washing them takes all of two minutes. Hanging them to dry takes about four minutes. And stuffing the diapers (which I do while I watch Greys Anatomy during nap time) takes about fifteen minutes! So really not much more time.







If you have any questions about cloth diapering please ask away!!


www.charliebanana.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/lovecharliebanana
and Instagram: https://instagram.com/lovecharliebanana/

5 comments:

  1. Nothing much cuter than twins in cloth! Great blog post Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so cute! This looks much less intimidating than I originally thought. Also, love the crib, did you paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable! My main question is how much does everything cost and how much do you save??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and you. Maybe I'll cloth diaper next time. I mean, if you can do it, anyone can! Jk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At what age did you start using the CBs? I am really excited to try it but am nervous about the mid-diaper-change poops my 11day old has so frequently!

    ReplyDelete